Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Under Siege 2: Penn (Everett McGill)

Posted by Mr Mouseburger 
Under Siege 2: Penn (Everett McGill)
June 17, 2005 12:00AM
Re: Under Siege 2: Penn (Everett McGill)
March 30, 2006 03:30PM
I thought this death was quite good actually, it made me laugh anyway.
However, much as I enjoyed the over the top fighting, it would have been more original to have Ryback's niece take the hand grenade that he (as you quite rightly say) pointlessly gave her and just thrown it at his feet. I think she would have suffered moderate shrapnel damage but it would have been in keeping with her character as "sassy female teen with something to prove".

By the way, I think Penn should be a Major Villain - he isn't just a minion of Travis Dane's, they are roughly equal partners and once Dane's technical eminence is starting to show cracks, Penn has no compunction in threatening him with a knife.
March 30, 2006 06:44PM
heh, i think that it could be down to my crude cataloguing for archetypes, here is how i derive the archetypes, it is by no means definitive, so people should feel free to comment, and we can refine the criteria.

Baddy (Major) = the main villain which derives the success criteria for the films conclusion - only on rare occasions does more than one Baddy (major) appear in films, i would say Return of the Jedi is one, as Luke needs to defeat his father (or turn him back to the good side of the force), and he also needs to defeat the Emperor.

Baddy (Minor) = subsequent villains of Baddy (Major) which are basically bullet fodder for the hero of the film.

Goody (Major) = On occasion Hollywood likes to increase the impact of a film by having the main hero die, usually after or during the films objectives have been completed. An example of this is Braveheart, although personally i would count Wallace as Baddy (Major) as the hero has to be the noble King of Englandgrinning smiley

Goody (Minor) = The henchmen of the hero, most likely to survive and help our hero acheive their goals, but once they start planning to marry their fiance or retire next week, they are as dead as flared trousers. A milder form of pathos than the above.

Ambivalent (Major) = Difficult to describe, but sometimes there is no baddy in a film and once you see things from their perspective it seems like they have a point. For example, Roy Batty is not evil, he just does not want to die, and at the end, though he can kill dekard, he does not, he just expires.

Ambivalent (Minor) = A character who neither helps or hinders the hero/villain of the film, but is integral to the film's progression - Lyssa from Krull is a good example.

Innocent Bystander = none of the abovewinking smiley or more precisely, someone who has little or no involvement in the plot of the film apart from to reinforce just how bad this Baddy really is...

October 27, 2007 10:55PM
What I love is how Penn is built as a bad ass, but then ends up getting absolutely clobbered by Ryback like a nameless baddy. It was almost refreshing if it was not so ludicrious.

-----------------

My DVD Aficionado page!

My reviews at ThatGuywiththeGlasses.com!
November 03, 2007 01:15AM
Just ended up watching this again in censored form on the TV.
There are two great quotes from Penn:

(upon hearing that his minions didn't actually see Ryback's dead body) "Assumption is the mother of all f*** ups!" Edit: no he doesn't say this, Dane does!

The other one should probably be added to the writeup, but Mouseburger's review is so good I don't want to mess with it. It's when he is taunting Ryback's niece just prior to his fight: "I've never been afraid of anyone, but that uncle of yours scares me - and I like it!"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2009 12:02AM by old bluffer.
Sorry to bother you guys with something that really doesn't belong here, but more than 2,000 articles on the Net claim that Travis Dane uttered that line "Assumption is the mother ..."

I don't remember it so, but my DVD player is out of order, and I can't prove them wrong. Neither can I tell my spiteful best friend, who is now going around town telling everybody that he for the first time has caught me screwing up. He actually printed out the section from IMDB.com just to shove that line in my face.

So, could anyone that's actually seen the scene recently, tell me whether or not those were the very words of Major Penn or not?

With kind regards,

KenNet
Dalarna
Sweden
March 12, 2008 08:43PM
April 12, 2009 12:01AM
I'v (reluctantly) removed "Acid" as the pepper spraying happens in an entirely separate scene.

Also, I was wrong, it is indeed Dane that has the "Assumpution is..." quote - sorry.
Actually, Penn says the quote first (in reference to Greene's character supposedly killing Ryback), then Dane says it later to Penn.
I think it should say Killed with: Bare hands rather than Killed with: Knife, because Penn isn't actually killed with a knife.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 5 plus 7?