Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Return of the King, The: Sauron (Alan Howard (voice))

Posted by Mr Mouseburger 
I do believe that Gollum is indirectly for the destruction of the One Ring and thus Sauron since think about it: if Gollum didn't arrive at Mt. Doom when he did to retrieve his "precious" Frodo would have kept the One Ring for himself, not destroyed it and allowed Sauron to steadily regain power and eventually take over the Middle-Earth.

Also an earlier post stated that Sauron did not perish and merely just got so much power taken away to the point of no return. That is not true, it's only true in the book. In the film it's strongly implied that the Eye of Sauron is the only remaining part of him and in the Extended Edition it's outright stated that if he has to manifest himself into two forms both of which can't leave Mordor: the Mouth of Sauron which is slayed by Aragorn and the Eye of Sauron which kicks the bucket as mentioned here. Sauron is killed in the film, not in the book. Also it has been speculated that Sauron may be living in the tower and cannot leave which I do believe. If that case is true than he's still dead since last time I checked being trapped inside a tower that structurally collapses in a flood of lava is kinda fatal.
Re: Return of the King, The: Sauron (Alan Howard (voice))
April 09, 2009 03:01AM
I'm pretty sure Sala Baker voices Sauron, not Alan Howard. I saw it on Wikipedia.
Jackson delivers, with the the most satisfying demise in cinematic history

A tower falling down and a silly CGI eye looking around in a worried state? I'm sorry, but your standards are pretty low if THAT's the most satisfying demise in cinematic history. When I think of the death of Sauron, I think of this passage:

The Dark Lord was suddenly aware of him, and his Eye piercing all shadows looked across the plain to the door that he had made; and the magnitude of his own folly was revealed to him in a blinding flash, and all the devices of his enemies were at last laid bare. Then his wrath blazed in consuming flame, but his fear rose like a vast black smoke to choke him. For he knew his deadly peril and the thread upon which his doom now hung.

From all his policies and webs of fear and treachery, from all his stratagems and wars his mind shook free; and throughout his realm a tremor ran, his slaves quailed, and his armies halted, and his captains suddenly steerless, bereft of will, wavered and despaired. For they were forgotten. The whole mind and purpose of the Power that wielded them was now bent with overwhelming force upon the Mountain.

The movie never imparted the same sense of awe or showed the terror that the Dark Lord felt, it never did justice to the book. It was a fairly weak end to an otherwise decent series.
Re: Return of the King, The: Sauron (Alan Howard (voice))
June 30, 2009 02:33AM
Amen. I can't help but feel that by the end of the movie any villain but Sauron would've been an awesome main antagonist. He was just an eye. Other main antagonists in the movie include one of the biggest badasses in history (the Witch-King), a corrupt asshole (Denethor), a deformed Orc who led an army of 20-mile-tall elephants (Gothmog), a genocidal asshole who filled the role of villain masterfully for most of the series (Saruman), a deformed... thing (Gollum) and hell even Shelob and Gorbag could've done a better job.
Give me a specific scenario of how to show that on the movie screen. Movies are not a good medium for giving a direct insight into a character's mind. You have to demonstrate it graphically.
IMO both Frodo and Gollum killed Sauron. They were fighting, fell over the edge, Gollum and ring fell into lava. Interesting to note Sauron's page says "killed by Gollum", while Gollum's page says "killed by Frodo", but the same fall killed both Gollum and Sauron.

PH, Sauron may not have died in the book, but he did in the movie. Gandalf mentions Sauron's life force being bound to the ring. The movie has its share of changes from the book. Like the way and the time Wormtongue kills Saruman in Isengard instead of the Shire, also it being Legolas who kills Wormtongue in the movie and three hobbits in the book
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 2 plus 18?