Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

From Russia With Love: Rosa Klebb (Lotte Lenya)

Posted by Mr Mouseburger 
From Russia With Love: Rosa Klebb (Lotte Lenya)
March 06, 2006 08:21PM
Mr. Briggs Inc.
Re: From Russia With Love: Rosa Klebb (Lotte Lenya)
March 06, 2006 10:08PM
I thought I had something with dilemma or betrayal, Tatiana wasn't exactly torn between Klebb and Bond, it certainly wasn't a spur-of-the-moment decision to betray Klebb. Also, I put grab bag since Bond grabbed a chair to fight Klebb, pretty self-explanatory.
Mr. Briggs Inc.
March 06, 2006 10:24PM
Sorry, I didn't notice you already had dilemma, I guess I'm going through early senility, Grab-bag argument stays.
March 06, 2006 10:25PM
Yes, it is a dilemma of sorts (i have added this category in, i thought i ticked the box on the form, but must have missed it), but it is not a grab bag. A grab bag is quite specific. When the protagonist is being heavily defeated in a fight and is about to die - their last efforts are to reach for something, anything and hit the opponent with it. I think a good example of this is Cathy Bates in Misery - doesn't James Caan hit her over the head with a typewriter while struggle to get free of her?

With regards to my writing style, that is the way i see Bond films - people like Pussy Galore are converted to the side of good after one night in the sack with Bond. Tatiana is no exception in my eyes. Dont get me wrong, i do love Bond films dearly, but noone can say they are not formulaic.smiling smiley

Mouseburger

Mr. Briggs Inc.
March 06, 2006 10:37PM
"Snatching an improvised weapon from the surrounding area whilst fighting" Eh, I guess you're the founder of this online organization, and yes Bond films are formulaic, not even I can provide a whiny, nitpicking argument to that seeing as Fiona Volpe was the only physically attractive female henchwoman who Bond has bedded who didn't eventually turn.
March 06, 2006 10:55PM
heh, hoist by my own petard - i know what you are saying, but i think the category was meant more for situations where the killer has no choice but to grab the first thing that comes to hand. it is usually reserved for people being slowly throttled to death, and they are reaching for the pair of scissors on the dressing table.....

In contrast Bond has the time and freedom to grab a chair, or any other inanimate object he desired to fight Klebb with. so he is not desperately grabbing the nearest thing to hand. I admit that the category description is a little ambiguous in explaining this point, and we will try and tighten it up a bit.

Of course, i have no real issues adding categories to it if people feel strongly enough about it, and can make a good case, as i love adding those icons to deaths - old bluffer has the record for the death with the most icons, and we all need to find a film death with more categories than thisgrinning smiley

I think the Bond films success is based around that formula - it gives me everything i want to see in a film, nice looking women, peril, action, stunts, gadgets, heroism and over the top villains.

Mouseburger

March 07, 2006 12:06PM
Regarding Grab Bag, the intention for that category was always that the person is desperately reaching for anything to hand, and has no real choice on the weapon.

Examples that *wouldn't* qualify would be someone who was disarmed and is trying to get their weapon back, or someone in a fight who can move to a part of the room where there is chair, which they then use to whack somebody.

The name for the category was carefully chosen by the way, as a "grab bag" is essentially random - the person employing it has no way of guaranteeing what they will draw from it.

I'll update the definition to make this clearer.

OB
Mr. Briggs Inc.
March 24, 2006 02:09PM
I hate to start another debate, but Romanova used the same weapon that Rosa was using to hold Bond at gunpoint earlier, would this count as "own weapon"?
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 10 plus 4?