Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

American Beauty: Lester Burnham (Kevin Spacey)

Posted by Mr Mouseburger 
American Beauty: Lester Burnham (Kevin Spacey)
February 09, 2006 03:13PM
Re: American Beauty: Lester Burnham (Kevin Spacey)
February 09, 2006 03:26PM
I have two problems with this review.
Firstly, I personally think the Colonel had some serious latent homesexuality issues of his own, which is why he was so homophobic in the first place. I don't think he kissed Lester as an experiment, I think he was genuinely jealous (and furious) of his son, and couldn't help himself. Afterwards, the shame and humiliation he felt was enough to doom his neighbour - if Lester was killed, nobody would ever know what had happened.

Secondly, I would be inclined to say Lester was Major Ambivalent. We feel sympathy with him throughout the film but I'm not sure he has enough admirable qualities to qualify as a "Goody".

OB
Mr. Briggs Incorporated
May 29, 2006 12:12AM
Great snakes-on-a-plane, this is complicated! Please make the conflict less vague, also try to better clarify which Fitz (actually spelled Fitts). you are speaking of.

After resolving his obsession with his daughter's best friend, Carol asks him how he is.
A bit mixed-up on pronouns and antecedents, better as; After Lester resolves his obsession with Angela, his daughter's best friend, his wife, Carolyn asks him how he is.
Uh, no you're both wrong. It was Angela who asked him how he was.

And yes, Col Fitts was a flaming homosexual in serious denial.
Frank Fitz was not the killer! The power & velocity of a gun shot results in blood, skin & other body parts being sprayed in the same direction that the bullet was traveling. The shooter, even at close range, would not have the blood bath evident on Frank Fitz's t-shirt.

Was this just a technical mistake, or was someone else responsbile for the shooting?
November 23, 2007 03:26AM
Uh... yes, he was. Who else could it be?

-----------------------------------
The name's Bond, James Bond.
[billtheman.dvdaf.com]

November 23, 2007 11:46PM
Okay, so if Frank wasn't the one who shot Lester...where did all the blood on Frank's clothes come from, then? Technical error or not, the fact Frank is shown afterwards with blood on him is meant as a visual cue to let us know he was the killer.
i dont think that frank killed lester - like the comment before the blood spray was wrong . I reckon the colonel killed his wife after realising that his marriage was just a cover up, "for show" as said before in the garage.

I think Sam Mendes intended the audience to not know who shot Lester - for all we know it could have been someone else e.g. buddy or "brad" from work..
blood goes everywhere including some back towards the shooter
When I saw Lesters wife with the gun I was getting pissed because i remembered the begging when he says he has less than a year to live. Frank is the killer if him because of the blood on the shirt and it showed his guns after Lesters tragic death. sad smiley It Pissed me off so much that he died. I think the movie could have been a little longer and showed what happened such as where Lesters daughter/wife went and what happens to frank and his son. I didn't really get why he didn't bag Angela but i think it was because she said she was a virgin? I was wishing lester lived and had a "more happy" life but that didn't happen... The movie was great though I would give it a 9.1 out of 10.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 7 plus 12?