Hunted, The: Aaron Hallam (Benicio Del Toro)
March 06, 2008 01:20AM
Re: Hunted, The: Aaron Hallam (Benicio Del Toro)
March 06, 2008 07:43AM
March 06, 2008 11:53PM
Glad you liked it smiling smiley.
This film is one of my favourites of this type of genre, so I thought it deserved a nice writeup.

Grabs now added too.
March 07, 2008 03:17AM
hehehe, great writeup!!

I did love the slippers with no tread on them, and the forge using only bracken!! I suppose it could be described as a poor man's First Blood!
November 15, 2009 09:06PM
When my friends and I saw this we had a debate about whether or not Aaron was L.T.'s son.

The evidence that supported it was
1) The passage bookmarked in the bible that L.T. found was about Abraham and his willingness to sacrifice his son Issac.
2) The fact that L.T. had dozens of letters from Aaron in the first place -- If he kept them, odds are he read them.
3) L.T. Insisted that Aaron die instead of possibly be saved and sent to prison -- a concrete hell for an accomplished woodsman -- AND he cradles Aaron's head while he dies
5) The final song in the movie was about Abraham and Issac and the final lyrics before the picture went black was 'go and kill me your son'

I don't know if we were looking too far into the movie or not. What do you guys think?
Aaron is not intended to be LT's son. IIRC his back story was that he was more or less a troubled kid that wound up dumped in the Army. He had a distinct affinity for nature skills and tracking. Something that he shared in common with his civilian trainer LT. It's not well laid out in the story, but he looks up to L.T. like a father.

After Kosovo, when he gets back and starts having PTSD induced flashbacks he begins attempting to contact LT for guidance; since LT was his spec ops trainer it's a natural choice. LT doesn't have any experience with killing people (there's a kind of important scene in FBI headquarters that establishes this) and has no answers to provide. Being a warrior and rather stoic individual, rather than saying "I don't know" he just ignores Aaron to let him figure it out on his own.

Aaron can't move on, so he snaps, goes off the radar and starts hiding out in the forest. Then the government sends in two spec ops sweepers to eliminate Aaron since he's a liability. Queue rest of story.

The whole "kill me a son" thing is somewhat metaphorical, but it's also an issue with the director William Friedkin has a penchant for putting references to the bible in his movies. Which fits since he directed The Exorcist. But it kind of overpowers and dilutes a lot of the subtleties of this story. He also doesn't spend nearly enough time explaining the backstory and relationship of LT and Aaron, instead deciding to focus on the action.

The one point that I will give him is that in order to help create the story he called in one of (if not the) top trackers in the world as a consultant. The story itself, is supposed to be semi-biographical (though very heavily fictionalized) based on one of the tracker's (Tom Brown Jr.) real cases.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 18 plus 7?