Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Back to the Future: Dr. Emmett Brown (Christopher Lloyd)

Posted by old bluffer 
Back to the Future: Dr. Emmett Brown (Christopher Lloyd)
January 03, 2007 04:50PM
Re: Back to the Future: Dr. Emmett Brown (Christopher Lloyd)
January 03, 2007 04:57PM
I watched this film again over Christmas and was struck by how much zeal Christopher Lloyd puts into this film. He's a great and diverse actor but he'll rightly forever be remembered for the role of Doc I think.

One interesting thing about the ending is that in the new timeline Doc knows that he owes everything to Marty, even before he meets the boy, but must conceal this knowledge until 1985.

I should note that Koosh originally added Cheating Death and Self Sacrifice but I changed them.
The reason is that Cheating Death is really intended for characters that deserve to die in our opinion, but Doc most certainly doesn't.
I can see the argument for Self-Sacrifice, but in my opinion Doc didn't really expect to die by drawing fire away from Marty, he just wanted to ensure the boy was safe.
January 03, 2007 06:06PM
old bluffer
I should note that Koosh originally added Cheating Death and Self Sacrifice but I changed them.

Really? They're still there.

The reason is that Cheating Death is really intended for characters that deserve to die in our opinion, but Doc most certainly doesn't.

Hmmm... But how can Doc actually be ressurected? As you stated, he did actually die and was never brought back in the first timeline, whereas in the second, he never died to begin with, thanks to the knowledge Marty gave him. I think Cheating Death should also apply to those pesky time travellers - where they change events that lead, in effect, to a middle finger at Death.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2007 06:07PM by Matt.
January 03, 2007 06:16PM
Thanks, I've removed Cheating Death now.

But how can Doc actually be ressurected?

Obviously it's all open to interpretation, but to my mind, in the film he died, but was then brought back to life. Not technically Resurrection in the strict sense, but in the spirit of our categories. If you look at the deaths in Cheating Death you'll see it would very much *not* be in the spirit of that category.
January 03, 2007 06:21PM
Fair enough. Apparently Koosh has added some captures of this your way too, so be sure to add those.

I, myself, got the entire trilogy boxset (4 discs), for just £9.99! Bargain. And the framing's correct on it too (although I wouldn't expect anything less).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2007 06:21PM by Matt.
January 03, 2007 07:08PM

Fair enough. Apparently Koosh has added some captures of this your way too, so be sure to add those.
I don't have any of those, I think he sends them to Mouseburger.

I, myself, got the entire trilogy boxset (4 discs), for just £9.99! Bargain. And the framing's correct on it too (although I wouldn't expect anything less).
Bah, I paid something like £18 for mine!
I didn't realise you were a fellow Brit by the way, I thought everyone on here was a damn yank winking smiley
January 03, 2007 07:20PM
Oh, I'm a Brit alright. I take it that the BTTF screening you was talking about was the one ITV had the day after Boxing Day?
January 03, 2007 07:38PM
Sort of, but I caught it in the middle, got sucked in and then realised I could just pop my (unopened) DVD in and watch it without adverts and with better sound and picture from the beginning!

I find this happens a lot. If someone says "lets watch this DVD" I won't be very keen. But if I flick over on the TV I'll easily get hooked into watching it...
January 03, 2007 07:40PM
And don't forget, uncut. winking smiley
January 03, 2007 08:36PM
old bluffer
I don't have any of those, I think he sends them to Mouseburger.

Yes, I've always sent my screenshots to Mouseburger. Hmm, should I send them to you instead?
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 10 plus 22?