Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fellowship of the Ring, The: Boromir (Sean Bean)

Posted by Mr Mouseburger 
Fellowship of the Ring, The: Boromir (Sean Bean)
July 26, 2005 12:00AM
Comments for death : Fellowship of the Ring, The: Boromir (Sean Bean).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2006 07:44PM by Mr Mouseburger.
Um, this death deserves a much much MUCH higher rating than this. It's perfect, in my book: You can't help but feel while it happens that Boromir deserves to die for how he treated Frodo, but at the same time, he's certainly redeemed himself through his sacrifice to the other Hobbits. And his pledge to Aragon as king in his dying words brings Boromir's saga full-circle, while moving forward the plot of the entire LoTR epic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2006 07:45PM by Mr Mouseburger.
Re: Fellowship of the Ring, The: Boromir (Sean Bean)
January 24, 2006 12:58AM
I wholeheartedly agree. And who better to play such a back-and-forth type of bad guy than Sean Bean? One of the greatest "Is he a good guy or a bad guy?" actors of all time.

Also, Blaze of Glory deaths are my very favorite of all types of deaths. One day, I hope to have my own Blaze of Glory death. Just don't stand too close to me when I start Blazin'. You're liable to get singed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2006 07:45PM by Mr Mouseburger.
January 25, 2006 10:36PM
I admit i love Boromirs death myself, but we have to remember this rating system should be as objective as possible. 86% is a very high score, especially considering it is just one man being shot with some arrows. Otherwise every death will be 100% - personally i think there are few (maybe one or two) deaths worthy of 100% rating.

However, to alleviate this issue, in the future we will look to add a "rate this death" feature, where visitors can rank each death themselves and give each score a fairer reflection of peoples views.

Mouseburger

January 26, 2006 01:01AM
It's a very powerful death, and portrayed brilliantly by our man from Sheffield.
I actually expected some calls for this to be awarded a "pointless" category though, as his heroism doesn't actually save Pippin and Merry from being captured and (arguably) tortured. Some might even say Boromir would have better served the Fellowship by giving up the hobbits as a lost cause and living to fight another day.
I don't personally believe it was pointless though. It redeemed Boromir, moved Aragorn to truly believe he was a king and inspired everyone that subsequently heard the tale. He also gave the Fellowship good reason to hope that Pippin and Merry were still alive, without which it is possible they would not have been followed.

From a purely dramatic point of view, it also made Aragorn's subsequent fight with Boromir's killer all the more thrilling - this isn't some faceless brute of an orc, this is the swine who killed Sean Bean!

Cinematically, I especially liked the orcs cowering back from an insane human who refused to die.

It is interesting to note though, that Peter Jackson made Boromir's death far more exciting than in the book. Tolkien chose not to focus on the last stand at all, instead describing it only by what Aragorn could hear from over a mile away.
Also, Jackson embellished the aforementioned dialogue to make it more clear that Boromir was acknowledging Aragorn's Kingship. Again, for the purposes of a film I think this was a good choice.

Aragorn knelt beside him. Boromir opened his eyes and strove to speak. At last slow words came.
"I tried to take the Ring from Frodo" he said. "I am sorry. I have paid."
His glance strayed to his fallen enemies; twenty at least lay there.
"They have gone. The Halflings. The Orcs have taken them. I think they are not dead. Orcs bound them." He paused and his eyes closed wearily. After a moment he spoke again.
"Farewell, Aragorn! Go to Minas Tirith and save my people! I have failed."
"No!" said Aragorn, taking his hand and kissing his brow. 'You have conquered. Few have gained such a victory. Be at peace! Minas Tirith shall not fall!"
Boromir smiled.
"Which way did they go? Was Frodo there?" said Aragorn.
But Boromir did not speak again.
"Alas!" said Aragorn. "Thus passes the heir of Denethor, Lord of the Tower of Guard! This is a bitter end."

OB

Mr. Briggs Inc.
March 07, 2006 12:15AM
A 100% needs to be uber-cool, something that has never been done before and quite possibly will never be done again, but no need to start the first MD DB flame war over it, the real reason I posted was to suggest impalement, after all, that is what arrows do, they impale.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2006 07:46PM by Mr Mouseburger.
Watch closely during when Aragon is comforting the dying Boromir. When the camera is behind Aragorn's back, Boromir's hand is on his shoulder. When the camera is in front of Aragon, then Boromir's hand is gone. This happens every time the camera changes tongue sticking out smiley

That aside, yes, I found this death to be a particularly glorious moment in the movie. Boromir was a morally ambiguous character throughout the movie, but he died a hero when he refused to give up even when he was getting plugged with magnum-sized arrows.
January 26, 2009 12:59AM
Pyro
Watch closely during when Aragon is comforting the dying Boromir. When the camera is behind Aragorn's back, Boromir's hand is on his shoulder. When the camera is in front of Aragon, then Boromir's hand is gone. This happens every time the camera changes tongue sticking out smiley

This lazy continuity error unfortunately detracts from my enjoyment of the scene. It's an incredibly poignant moment, but all I can focus on is the hand switching sad smiley.

I was hoping they'd fix it for the extended edition, as Peter Jackson *must* have belatedly realised the mistake - but it's not, so I guess they don't have any alternative footage they can use. If it was only slightly in shot they could fix it digitally, but it's so blatant I think you'd notice such a fix and it would be even more jarring.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2009 02:06AM by old bluffer.
I personally found the death somewhat disappointing. Not the Boromir getting shot repeatedly with arrows by Lurtz: that part was cool. What I disliked is that such a morally ambiguous character didn't truly redeem himself. In cinema the part of redeeming oneself, especially when the audience just knows that the character is screwed, is that you succeed in your goal of redemption but still perished. Boromir's idea of redemption was protecting Pippin and Merry but he failed and that's not really redemption. Here's the way I think it should have went down:

Boromir tries to protect Pippin and Merry but same thing happens: he gets plugged with arrows by Lurtz and the Hobbits are taken away. Aragorn then comes forth and fights Lurtz which I still agree with. The part I wanted to see was that Lurtz eventually defeats Aragorn and is poised to make a killing blow but Boromir ultimately redeems himself by tackling Lurtz and engaging him in a final melee combat switching between weapons and fists. Boromir then gets another arrow shot into him but still manages to kill Lurtz (preferably the same way that Aragorn did away with the Orc leader: decapitation: nice!).

Since Boromir didn't truly redeem himself I didn't truly like the death that much. I could actually picture that having happened but it didn't which made me do a genuine WTF (not the initials, the actual words) after I saw the movie. In case you're wondering what I did picture try Gimli's defense of Legolas from the Orc leader Ugluk at the climax of The Two Towers only with the characters being replaced accordingly.
March 05, 2009 09:38AM
Interesting post Flashpenny, but I have to say I disagree with you! In my opinion, redemption is more about intent than outcome. Boromir had grand plans for his future, that in no way involved wasting his time for the halfling peoples. Despite that, he willingly gave his life to defend two hobbits. Not just that, but his defence was saga-inspiringly epic, with piles of dead orcs surrounding his dying body.
This served as a real motivator for Aragorn, who would have been feeling extremely low by that point. With his dying words though, Boromir managed to rekindle Aragorn's belief in the Fellowship's quest, and reawaken long dormant thoughts of reclaiming his birthright to become a King.

Also, I'm afraid I think your alternative version for the scene is a typical Hollywood cliche, of the kind that we do our best to highlight and mock on this site grinning smiley.

Boromir was always a flawed character anyway, he represents the weakness of mankind. He wasn't strong enough to resist the lure of the ring, but once he realised that, he had the courage to die with honour. Without his character we wouldn't necessarily believe the old legend of Isildur being corrupted by the ring, or understand why the ring couldn't be used by men as a weapon.
A word you have used in your post has been banned from use. Please use a different word or contact the forum administrators.
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 19 plus 23?