Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Shawshank Redemption, The: Samuel Norton (Bob Gunton)

Posted by Mr Mouseburger 
Shawshank Redemption, The: Samuel Norton (Bob Gunton)
June 20, 2005 12:00AM
Comments for death : Shawshank Redemption, The: Samuel Norton (Bob Gunton).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2006 08:45PM by Mr Mouseburger.
Re: Shawshank Redemption, The: Samuel Norton (Bob Gunton)
December 21, 2005 12:16AM
if Samuel Norton is evil then why did he commit suicide?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2006 08:45PM by Mr Mouseburger.
Re: The Shawshank Redemption: Samuel Norton (Bob Gunton)
January 30, 2006 10:59PM
It's not always necessary to be evil to be the antagonist. Look at *wince* Hulk. The military are not the bad guys, there's a giant green monster running wild out in the country. And the Hulk (Eric Bana, wasnt' it?) isn't a bad guy either, he essentially just wants to be left alone. Yet they fight...because the movie is about the Hulk, the military are the "bad guys", but the only reason they're called out to stop the Hulk is to protect the general populace which makes them the "good guys" in spite of being the antagonists in the picture.
January 31, 2006 10:37AM
In the case of Samuel Norton however, I wouldn't feel too much sympathy. He was brutal, corrupt and I'm fairly sure he learned Dufresne was innocent but killed the only man that could testify to it - or have I remembered the film wrong?

You could argue that Norton was the inevitable product of the harsh prison system, but nobody could claim he was blameless.

I believe he killed himself because he knew that going to prison as an ex-governor would be a fate far worse than death!

OB

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2006 08:46PM by Mr Mouseburger.
February 02, 2006 07:33PM
He killed himself because he was a pussy. He was so deathly afraid of going to the torturous existance he himself had created that he decided to go out on his own terms. How long do you honestly think the warden of a prison would last behind bars? A day? An hour? A minute? At the very least, it would be a shorter stay than even the fat dude clocked.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2006 08:46PM by Mr Mouseburger.
That's how Hitler died.
July 03, 2010 03:10AM
This is one of my all-time favorite comeuppances of a villain. Norton put Dufresne through such a living Hell by shoving him in solitary confinement for two months that it's really cool watching as Dufresne did everything to bring Norton down and pretty much just robbed him of everything he ever had in one fell swoop.

I would almost argue that Andy could be classified under killer simply because he pretty much was the reason why Norton ended up dying: he destroyed his whole life in little time at all. Of course that's stretching it but still.
July 09, 2010 06:58PM
Anonymous User Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's how Hitler died.

Actually you're incorrect on that one. Hitler shot himself in the temple while Norton shot himself where the head conjoins with the neck. tongue sticking out smiley
Norton killed himself because he knew he would end up either facing the death penalty, or at the very least, a life sentence in prison, so he decided to end his life on his own terms.
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 1 plus 22?