Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Survivors

Posted by Lady Elenora 
Survivors
July 13, 2008 05:51PM
I think they should make a film or series about Survivors, following the seventies series.
Given today's climate of terrorism I think this subject should be explored a little more. I think it should be made to look 'real' (i.e, the stars should not have squeaky clean hair because there might well not be clean water or electricity to have a nice shower).

It could explore all sorts of different topics. First of all, maybe the most important, how would they survive food-wise? Of course there would always be supermarkets, but a lot of food would 'go off'. And in the supermarkets would, presumably be dead bodies, so they would have to run the gauntlet there, not forgettin that food stores might already be comandeered.

Then there would be power - if most human beings were dead, who would provide electricity and gas? Who would gather the harvest, or milk the cows? How would they cope with all the dead bodies around? How would they communicate? And travel? How would they learn about planting new harvests, making their own power or fuel? who would govern, and what if the masses didn't agree with the choice of who would govern? Would anarchy rule?

I would love to see these issues explored further. I think I have only just scratched the surface. I am sure lots of other people could come up with loads more ideas...
Re: Survivors
July 13, 2008 05:53PM
and what about clothes, and weapons? And giving birth?! ooooo... ouch
July 13, 2008 06:45PM
I think this sort of subject matter has been dealt with to a greater or lesser extent.

Films like 28 days/weeks later looks at the impact of a mass wipeout of the human race(and subsequent zombification of them), also there are films like Omega man and I am Legend deal with the isolationsim. Films such as Reign of Fire look at the administrative problems of maintaining a society in a post apocalyptic world.

However, that said, it is a genre i am particularly fond of, so i am never going to argue about them making more films like thisgrinning smiley
July 13, 2008 06:52PM
June 10, 2009 04:44PM
I sadly haven't seen the 1970s original, or even the recent BBC remake, although I'm very tempted to get it on DVD.
One series I did catch completely by accident was The Last Train, - some old cable channel was showing the whole series back to back and I got sucked in for hours, I really enjoyed it.

I have to disagree with Mouseburger, there is ample room for more "collapse of society" in cinema. The "28" and Omega Man spin-offs feature zombies, which inevitably colours any kind of life for the remaining humans. That's fine, but it's often more interesting to explore what happens with completely normal people when they miss a few meals.
And, Reign of Fire was bloody awful, and can't be used as any kind of serious example (you may as well cite "Rats", which was so painful we didn't even write it up!)

Conversely, the genre has been very well treated in literature. For example, I'm surprised John Christopher's Death of Grass and Niven's Footfall were never given the big screen treatment. They were written in very different times, but both are essential reading in my opinion.

Like Mouseburger, I'm a massive fan of this genre by the way.
June 10, 2009 10:58PM
Oops, I meant to say Niven's "Lucifer's Hammer", not Footfall.
Footfall is a good read too, but society collapses when the Earth gets invaded by aliens. Lucifer's Hammer is more relevant to this thread, as society is wiped out "Deep Impact" style by a comet (but the comet actually hits, so it's a much more interesting story)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login