Beowulf
January 13, 2006 10:18PM
With the current fad for epic fantasy tales, i think that Beowulf is crying out to be made. A quick search of google led me to a trailer for an upcoming film.

[www.beowulfandgrendel.com]

The trailer does not really inspire me with much confidence, but hopefully it will be a great adaptation of an epic tale.

Mouseburger
Re: Beowulf
January 15, 2006 01:19AM
I like one of the taglines:

Beowulf - A story of blood, beer and sweat.

[nice smiley]

OB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2006 01:19AM by old bluffer.
January 15, 2006 01:31AM
Well my computer can't play or connect to the trailer, so I can't comment on it sad smiley.

There isn't too much information on the site, but to concentrate on the positive - the soundtrack samples sound suitably like a Scandinavian epic theme tune, and I like the fact they seem to be filming in Iceland. Also promising is the amount of people involved in the film that have a surname ending in "sson".
Finally, there don't seem to be any big "names" starring, which makes a refreshing change.

I look forwards to adding some of the characters to our database!

/\dam
January 15, 2006 08:56PM
Can't link to the trailer? Here is the full address:

www.beowulfandgrendel.com/trailer.html

It is a quicktime movie.

Mouseburger

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2006 08:58PM by Mr Mouseburger.
January 19, 2006 07:28PM
I can see the link, it just won't play on my PC (running Firefox).
Oh well, from what I've seen of the film so far I'll be going to watch it at the cinema anyway.

OB
May 02, 2006 09:23PM
IMDB now reports this film won't be out until 2007 sad smiley.

OB
May 03, 2006 08:05PM
there is more than one beowulf film coming out i believe - the one you are looking at OB is the star studded Hollywood version - with Menelaus from Troy in it (who seems to be the 21st century's answer to Brian Blessed!).

The film i was more interested in was the Scandinavian "Beowulf and Grendel" which, considering the principle star is Thor Thorstonrassmusssenjohansson, means it will be a straight to DVD film (if we are lucky).

here is the imdb link

Beowulf and Grendel
October 16, 2006 08:16PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0442933/ Have either of you seen this yet?

Bruno! Yes, yes, Lovely to hear from you too! No, no, ze vitness? Do not worry! I haff taken care of ze vitness. Yes, yes. Shoot him? What, ar-are you stupid? No, no I am not going to blow ze plane up! I... haff put snakes... on ze plane.
December 07, 2006 09:37PM
I am aware of that production Mr Briggs, will be interesting to see how that rates to Beowulf and Grendel. I ordered this from the US the other week and both OB and i watched it. Personally i really enjoyed the film. There was, of course, some artistic licence used with the story, but generally it stayed fairly true to the text.

However, the main thing i enjoyed was it was clearly not a Hollywood production. Don't get me wrong, i enjoy some of tinseltown's offerings as much as the next man (providing the next man is some cynical old fecker who hates tinseltown), but the film was notably bereft of car chases and explosions, and instead worked on character development. This made it much more interesting as we listened to the story rather than patiently waiting for the next special effects sequence.

Credit has to go to Grendel, who in this adaptation is made a sympathetic character, rather than a monster, but the real star of the show was Sarah Polley playing the witch, Selma.

I would strongly recommend getting this out on DVD.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login