Do they make these anymore?
August 12, 2006 11:00PM
In this world we live in... aww, the hell with it, why are there no more...

*Serious westerns? - This used to be a VERY prolific genre, but the fun seemed to stop after Sergio Leone "perfected" it, now all we have is Wild Wild West, Brokeback Mountain, and Shanghai Noon. (obviously none are traditional westerns) I admit these would seem campy today, but if we could throw away (or at least re-do) the cliche "John Wayne" characters we could probably ressurrect the genre.

*Anthologies? - probably the biggest problem is advertising without a single theme.

*Serious animated films? - Ever since Pixar took the challenge out of animating cartoon films, the rest of the production team decided they didn't have to work either, just throw in a few easy to understand jokes and let-'er-rip.

*1-year-after-the-other theatrical sequels? Who wants the marketing campaign "007 in 07!"?

*comic-booky action/adventure/sci-fi films? damn there were a LOT of these in 2003-2004 (hellboy, Van Helsing, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen) where have they gone so quickly??

There are so many underused genres these days, I believe that after so much time Hollywood could probably make a lot of money from formerly tired ideas.

Bruno! Yes, yes, Lovely to hear from you too! No, no, ze vitness? Do not worry! I haff taken care of ze vitness. Yes, yes. Shoot him? What, ar-are you stupid? No, no I am not going to blow ze plane up! I... haff put snakes... on ze plane.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2006 01:18AM by Mr. Briggs Inc..
Re: Do they make these anymore?
August 14, 2006 10:09AM
Mr. Briggs Inc. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 1-year-after-the-other theatrical sequels?

Pirates of the Caribbean 2 & 3 spring to mind, as do The Matrix. Be aare that these weren't all that common, and I'm glad that we have to wait for sequels longer, personally - we get better scripts that way, as opposed to a rushed job for a quick cash-in.

August 15, 2006 11:33AM
Don't forget, the first four Bond films came one after the other and they are sometimes considered the best of the series.

Bruno! Yes, yes, Lovely to hear from you too! No, no, ze vitness? Do not worry! I haff taken care of ze vitness. Yes, yes. Shoot him? What, ar-are you stupid? No, no I am not going to blow ze plane up! I... haff put snakes... on ze plane.
August 15, 2006 11:59AM
But they advantage - they already had source material, which is alot easier than cooking up a completely fresh script.
August 17, 2006 12:32AM
Mr. Briggs Inc. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> *Serious westerns? - This used to be a VERY
> prolific genre, but the fun seemed to stop after

Westerns have been done to death really - the last good western i saw was Unforgiven with Clint.

> *Serious animated films? - Ever since Pixar took
> the challenge out of animating cartoon films, the
> rest of the production team decided they didn't
> have to work either, just throw in a few easy to
> understand jokes and let-'er-rip.

I would strongly recommend Japanese anime, specifically from Studio Ghibli. Hayao Miyazaki is a legend amongst animators, and creates some fantastic stories, with incredibly original artwork. While Pixar is great for cutting edge animation, but i felt their most recent production, Cars, was lacking in a bit of depth.

> *1-year-after-the-other theatrical sequels? Who
> wants the marketing campaign "007 in 07!"?

I am really looking forward to this - i think Daniel Craig is very much how i imagined the bond in the books.

>
> *comic-booky action/adventure/sci-fi films? damn
> there were a LOT of these in 2003-2004 (hellboy,
> Van Helsing, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen)
> where have they gone so quickly??

they must be running out heroes to use in this genre by now. there have also been a few notable turkeys, namely Elektra, Fantastic Four and Hulk. i think this might dampen the enthusiasm for some new comic book characters being put onto the silver screen.
>
> There are so many underused genres these days, I
> believe that after so much time Hollywood could
> probably make a lot of money from formerly tired
> ideas.
>
I really think they need to explore soe of the great stories from antiquity for source material. Mythologies and historic action films (i.e. troy) are always well received by me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2006 12:34AM by Mr Mouseburger.
January 09, 2013 03:56AM
Come to the most professional Diablo 3 Gold store!Diabloiiigold is your ideal site which would provide you free D3 Gold with fast delivery. Since we have been released the Diablo 3 gold service more than 7 months, we have been collected more than 10 thousands players to be our member.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login