Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tarantino's "Hostel"

Posted by old bluffer 
Tarantino's "Hostel"
March 29, 2006 09:09PM
Has anyone seen this yet? Thinking of going this week, but would rather not watch an absolute turkey (unless it has some good killings of course winking smiley).

OB
Mr. Briggs Inc.
Re: Tarantino's "Hostel"
March 29, 2006 10:40PM
Check the imdb (5.9/10, current rating) for great reviews, I haven't seen this one, not quite being experienced in the few full-length works of Roth. I hear it has lots of raunchy parts and nudity in the first half and effectively gory horror scenes in the latter half. Probably not for those with high moral standards.
March 29, 2006 10:56PM
IMDB is indeed a useful site, but you also get quite a few spoilers in peoples reviews....I like to be surprised when someone gets killed in a typically cliched
waygrinning smiley

Mouseburger
March 30, 2006 09:35AM
I agree with Mouse, I love IMDB, but only tend to visit *after* I see a film.

OB
March 31, 2006 12:03AM
OK, I went to see it this evening and was very disappointed.
Not sure what Tarantino's involvement was, but he wasn't directing and it had none of his style.

The actual film started off nicely enough, building a creepy East European atmosphere and an element of mystery, but the second half was hopelessly derivative. It would have made a semi-decent plot for a horror game on the Playstation, but that's about it.
Worst of all, the ending felt rushed and failed to satisfy me on any level. In fact. the only death (actually a triple killing) I would bother putting in the MDDB would be marked "unsatisfying".

Thirteen year olds will probably love it, but gratuitous violence without style or humour bores me to tears.

I therefore give Hostel 3 boltcutters out of 10 - and all those points were scored in the first third of the film.

OB
March 31, 2006 12:10AM
Please spare us, Hostel 2 is already in production :rolleyes:

OB
March 31, 2006 12:22AM
Really? i bet it is not much different to the reaction for Saw II. The same sort of crap as the first one, nicely re-packaged with some new, ultra-mega-violent special effects.

Mr. Briggs Inc.
March 31, 2006 02:07AM
How is it Tarantino's Hostel, Tarantino was the executive producer!

(P.S.) Saw II looks excellent! I may watch it tonight despite my love for movie for free on TV.

(P.P.S.) According to my favorite spell-check in the world, Tarantino is actually named Tarantula, Quarantine, and Warranting.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login