smiling smiley Record number of categories for a death
February 12, 2006 01:31AM
UPDATE: The most number of categories per death can now be seen by clicking "Category" in the main death list. This will take you to this page.

Beat this Mouseburger: The death of Raoul (Dwight Yoakam) in Panic Room

cool smiley OB cool smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2006 01:05PM by old bluffer.
Re: smiling smiley Record number of categories for a death
March 26, 2006 03:37AM
And I've just realised this death also qualifies for Melee, bringing the total categories to an astonishing thirteen!

/\dam
October 02, 2006 01:06PM
February 02, 2007 01:54PM
Well i have risen to the challenge and topped Raoul's listing with the impressive 16 categories which details Phil Connors death in Groundhog Day!!

Beat that OB cool smiley
February 02, 2007 03:34PM
Pah, I call Cheat!

I have been stabbed, shot, poisoned, frozen, hung, electrocuted and burned
We don't see many of these deaths at all, so it's a bit of a copout to count them grinning smiley.

Also, not-quite-dead doesn't count (but resurrection does), I keep trying to explain that on these forums and people continually don't seem to get it...
Mexican Standoff also doesn't apply as far as I can remember.

Anyway, that brings the total down below Panic Room, so I am happy for the time being winking smiley. I still say it's a cheap way of getting 14 categories though - Raoul earns all of his fair and square in one scene!

By the way, I changed "ascorbic" to "acerbic" - if it wasn't a typo feel free to put it back in (but that's an unusual adjective - you might as well describe Andie Macdowell as a "citric" actress...winking smiley )
February 02, 2007 03:54PM
nah, it is no more of a copout than finding someone has been killed offscreen. Only in Phil Connors case he has been killed offscreen several times.grinning smiley

I would say Mexican standoff does count as he is in a stand off situation with the police aiming for him and he is revving the car about to run them over.....

Also, there is an argument to be made for "not quite dead" too, as when he drives over the cliff Larry suggests he might still be alive, only for that hope to be extinguished with an explosion.

Yes, acerbic, not ascorbic - the whole world is a citric!!winking smiley
February 02, 2007 04:01PM

I would say Mexican standoff does count as he is in a stand off situation with the police aiming for him and he is revving the car about to run them over.....
I'd have to rewatch the scene, but my gut feeling is that it in no way qualifies. I don't remember the police being in any real danger at all (or of even being scared of their lives).

Also, there is an argument to be made for "not quite dead" too, as when he drives over the cliff Larry suggests he might still be alive, only for that hope to be extinguished with an explosion.
I'm more certain about this one. In order to qualify (by your own standards in fact, when you suggested the category and drew the icon!) he would have had to stagger out of the car, then get shot several times, rise up again, have an eagle swoop down and peck his eyes out and only finally perish when the car exploded smiling smiley
February 02, 2007 04:50PM
Nice to see my first-ever contribution was controversial.

But how come there's no thread for Phil's death? I thought they were created automatically?

-----------------

My DVD Aficionado page!

My reviews at ThatGuywiththeGlasses.com!
February 02, 2007 04:50PM
ok, as a compromise i will add back in the mexican standoff, but leave out the "not quite dead" - which i admit was always a little bit tenuous - i added in for devilment! :demon:

Still, that make this the most categorised film on the site! well done Phil Connors.

Can you chaps think of/submit a death that has more!? - the challenge is onwinking smiley
February 02, 2007 04:55PM
old bluffer

I'd have to rewatch the scene, but my gut feeling is that it in no way qualifies. I don't remember the police being in any real danger at all (or of even being scared of their lives).
I don't think he was aiming for the police - it seemed that his intention was to drive over the cliff. How, I think it just qualifies.
old bluffer

I'm more certain about this one. In order to qualify (by your own standards in fact, when you suggested the category and drew the icon!) he would have had to stagger out of the car, then get shot several times, rise up again, have an eagle swoop down and peck his eyes out and only finally perish when the car exploded smiling smiley
Well, that cliff was a very tall drop (made even longer by the slo-mo as the car falls). I say it counts.

Oh, and in a bit of trivia, in one shot under the car as it goes off the cliff, you can see there's no engine - it's completely empty.

-----------------

My DVD Aficionado page!

My reviews at ThatGuywiththeGlasses.com!
aargh!
February 15, 2007 06:37AM
The Phil Connors/Groundhog Deaths categories seem like a stretch to me. These deaths don't really happen in the movie--they're just mentioned in it; also it's not clear that they're even deaths at all. Phil says ""I have been stabbed, shot, poisoned, frozen, hung, electrocuted and burned," but he doesn't say that these things have killed him. To the contrary, he say's he's discovered that he's an "immortal"--i.e., he *hasn't* died at all. So it seems a bit questionable, imho.
February 15, 2007 08:19PM
He died, at least for that day in that version of it. It's just that the next day, whether or not he was living prior to 12:00, resets itself, effectively bringing Phil back to life in the process.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2007 08:21PM by Kooshmeister.
February 15, 2007 09:17PM
aargh!
February 22, 2007 01:18AM
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 8 plus 2?