Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Category Suggestion: Time Travel

Posted by Matt 
Category Suggestion: Time Travel
November 04, 2007 09:07PM
I just wanted to hear a few thoughts on this.

'Time Travel', I think, would be an excellent category, particularly for deaths which are changed or corrected by time travel, which usually aren't strictly resurrections as often they're changed so they don't end up actually dying in the first place. Also, it would be useful for the rare times when time travel is used to actually kill (such as the Uber-Morlock in The Time Machine (2002)).

-----------------

My DVD Aficionado page!

My reviews at ThatGuywiththeGlasses.com!
Re: Category Suggestion: Time Travel
November 17, 2007 06:14PM
Using a tran, I'm sending this thread Back to the Future!

Corny jokes aside, is no one really interested in this suggestion?

-----------------

My DVD Aficionado page!

November 17, 2007 08:47PM
The only movie I could think of for this catergory is Next. But that's about it. There isn't really that much movies with it..

-----------------------------------
The name's Bond, James Bond.
[billtheman.dvdaf.com]

November 17, 2007 08:53PM
What about The Butterfly Effect? The entire Back to the Future trilogy? Or any of these for that matter?

-----------------

My DVD Aficionado page!

Pyro
November 18, 2007 12:12AM
I think the Uber-Morlock's death, as well as other deaths where they age and decay rapidly from being connected to a time warp, can be tied to "old age" since that's what the time machine basically did to him as it sent him through time rapidly.
November 18, 2007 04:06PM
Another example of why "old age" should just be "age". But Time Travel might make a good category, it's far from plain old "resurrection" and is a bit of a different case than "alternate fate"

Bruno! Yes, yes, Lovely to hear from you too! No, no, ze vitness? Do not worry! I haff taken care of ze vitness. Yes, yes. Shoot him? What, ar-are you stupid? No, no I am not going to blow ze plane up! I... haff put snakes... on ze plane.
December 08, 2007 12:06PM
Here are two more category images. One's the Time Machine from the 2002 remake, the other is... Well, you know. smiling smiley

-----------------

My DVD Aficionado page!

December 08, 2007 05:15PM
I vote for the DeLorean!
December 08, 2007 07:22PM
I would like one of the first two, the machine is a bit blurry and the DeLorean may be obscure to some, the don't exactly suggest "time travel".

Bruno! Yes, yes, Lovely to hear from you too! No, no, ze vitness? Do not worry! I haff taken care of ze vitness. Yes, yes. Shoot him? What, ar-are you stupid? No, no I am not going to blow ze plane up! I... haff put snakes... on ze plane.
January 31, 2008 06:00PM
OK, Photoshop is loaded up - I just need some convincing that this category would have some entries.
Not keen on using it for rapid ageing like the uber-morlock, as I agree that should just be old age.
Much more interested in it dealing with deaths that involve alternate timelines etc. So, can anyone suggest some examples?

OB
January 31, 2008 06:13PM
Doc in Back to the Future; he's shot by the terrorists but then Marty goes back in time and changes events so that in the future/present Doc is wearing a bulletproof vest when shot. So it is time travel that allows Doc to avoid dying the second time.

George in Back to the Future Part II; although this is an entirely offscreen death it drives the entire second half of the film, and Biff was able to accomplish George's murder by going back in time to ensure that his younger self would grow up to be rich and powerful. I admit this one is a little iffy however, here's a doozy....

Stanton in Journey to the Center of Time; early in the film the time travellers find themselves on a collision course with another time machine and team leader Stanton is forced to vaporize it instead of colliding and being killed. At the end, Stanton turns out to be a real jerk and escapes in the time machine leaving the others behind, and finds himself on a collision course with, gasp! the other ship! He realizes that he killed his own future self and subsequently dies as Past-Stanton destroys the time machine.

Stanton's demise cannot have happened without travelling through time, since he unknowingl kills himself in the time stream, then dies as his past self kills him later.

Also, getting back to Back to the Future Part II, the elderly Biff dies upon returning from the past. The deleted scenes have it so that he fades out of existence the way Marty and his siblings almost did in the first movie, but the finished version of the film simply implies he's having a heart attack due to the stress of travelling through time (or something along those lines). Although this death would therefore go under "Heart Attack," the attack likely wouldn't have happened had Biff not travelled through time twice.

And there's probably other cheesy sci-fi flicks out there where screwing around with the timestream leads to wacky situations that either cause or negate characters' deaths.

EDIT: And, I also support "Time Travel" for the Uber-Morlock, at least in terms of cause and effect. He does die of extreme old age, but it is caused by the act of time travelling, just as Donovan's extreme old age is caused by "Wrath of the Gods," or Toht melts because of God's wrath, etc. "Time Travel" would therefore be the cause, the actual means of death the effect; and as noted in the case of characters like Doc and George, it undoes their deaths.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Movie Deaths Gallery: [smg.photobucket.com]
DVD Collection: [kooshmeister.dvdaf.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2008 06:22PM by Kooshmeister.
January 31, 2008 06:22PM
Thanks Koosh, now we just need to decide on an icon.
I like Matt's clocks, as they're very clear - but they're not very interesting or relevant to movies.

In principle, I like the idea of having a flux capacitor, but I'm not sure if the final image is too obscure (not that that usually bothers us!)

OB's first attempt at a Time Travel icon
January 31, 2008 06:23PM
I support either Flux Capacitor or the Delorean. Or how about a clock or an hourglass?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Movie Deaths Gallery: [smg.photobucket.com]
DVD Collection: [kooshmeister.dvdaf.com]
January 31, 2008 06:23PM
Although not seen onscreen, Marty McFly appears on a 1955 gravestone, having taken Doc's place in Back to the Future: Part III, an event which he prevents.

Emma in The Time Machine (2002) has her initial death prevented only for her to die by a different method.

Let us not forget Time Bandits either.

-----------------

My DVD Aficionado page!

January 31, 2008 06:30PM
Bah, I've just realised Groundhog Day would apply too, meaning yet another bloody icon for that writeup!
January 31, 2008 06:31PM
Hehe, my first and most record-setting write-up! cool smiley

-----------------

My DVD Aficionado page!

January 31, 2008 06:34PM
Am agreeing with Koosh on just about everything now, even the morlock now I think about it. An Hourglass has already been used for Old Age though (as a reference to Ynyr)
January 31, 2008 06:45PM
OK, it's live with the icon on probation.
Did anyone submit the uber-morlock's death, as I can't find it?
I can do it if not, as I watched the modern remake of that film last week, coincidentally enough.
January 31, 2008 06:48PM
No, but I've always been planning to. But you can do it, if you like.

-----------------

My DVD Aficionado page!

Pyro
February 23, 2008 05:31AM
Mr. Dark in Something Wicked This Way Comes should apply as well, since he was killed in a manner similar to the Uber-Morlock's in the Time Machine remake.
A word you have used in your post has been banned from use. Please use a different word or contact the forum administrators.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 11 plus 11?